Foods to Eat for Rosacea That Are Good For You

Put simply, the best foods to eat for rosacea are those that support a healthy gut. The relationship between the gut and your skin has been well established by clinical trials, so the bottom line is, that a healthy gut means clearer skin.

A 2008 controlled study involving 120 dermatology patients in Genoa, Italy, found that a significant number of rosacea patients had small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, or SIBO. The researchers gave the rosacea patients antibiotics to eradicate the bad bacteria, after which, about 70 percent of subjects’ skin cleared up entirely. Of the remaining 30 percent, 20 percent experienced a dramatic improvement. Those who were given a placebo pill didn’t improve at all, but later when given the real antibiotic treatment, they improved. This study was published in the Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology journal and a followup was done after 9 months that showed that 96 percent of these patients remained in remission.

Best Foods to Eat for Rosacea

You should be consuming foods that support a healthy intestinal tract and avoid those foods that will compromise it. There are certain foods that encourage the overgrowth of harmful bacteria, fungus and other organisms in your gut and among these, alcohol, high calorie carbohydrates such as pastas, breads and sugars, stand out. Also, artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, food colorings, MSG and preservatives, should be avoided, along with processed foods laden with Omega 6 fatty acids – found in many fast food products.

The best foods to eat for rosacea are those that are unprocessed, high in fibre and rich in nutrients. So you need to say goodbye to the cake and ice cream and “hello” to leafy greens, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds and fresh fruits and vegetables. If you can supplement these with a good probiotic formula, it will both cleanse your gut and inject it with a supply of ‘good bacteria’ which ultimately, will be reflected in your skin.

Here is a list of some of the best foods to eat for Rosacea:

  • Fresh vegetables
  • Chicken
  • Whole grains
  • Seeds, especially Chia Flax seeds which are high in Omega 3.
  • Nuts – raw
  • Tofu
  • Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acid supplements such as Fish Oil, OR
  • Cold water fish, such as salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines and halibut

Since rosacea is an inflammatory condition, rosacea sufferers are best suited to an anti-inflammatory diet. Some have suggested that this is very close to the Mediterranean Diet and includes the following:

  • Plenty of fruits and vegetables.
  • Minimize saturated and trans fats.
  • Avoid refined foods and processed foods.
  • Watch your intake of refined carbohydrates such as pasta and white rice.
  • Eat a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish or fish oil supplements and walnuts.
  • Eat lean protein sources such as chicken; cut back on red meat and full-fat dairy foods.
  • Eat plenty of whole grains such as brown rice and bulgur wheat.
  • Add spices:- Ginger, curry, turmeric and other spices can have an anti-inflammatory effect.

You could start your day with a breakfast of toasted oatmeal with fresh berries mixed with yoghurt, and green tea to drink. For lunch, you could enjoy a tuna salad with multi-grain bread and a fruit or vegetable smoothie to wash it down. If you need a snack, try a little dark chocolate and a few nuts. The evening meal could be something like a spinach salad, laced with olive or coconut oil, which includes chicken or turkey meat, or some almonds or walnuts and a few herbs or spices to flavour it.

One of the positive spin-offs from an anti-inflammatory diet, is that it’s very likely you will lose weight if you need to – and improve your general health and wellbeing as well.

Some people on forums have also reported success from similar foods to eat for rosacea, such as those in the Paleo Diet. This diet is popular among endurance athletes and has been noted for improving acne, rosacea and joint pain. The Paleo Diet is a low-carb diet which has been described as “the kind of diet that cavement ate before the advent of fire”. It excludes sugars, processed grains, all dairy products and legumes and includes unlimited amounts of animal protein, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

Whatever your choice of foods to eat for rosacea, at the end of the day it has to be something that you feel confident you can stick with because you’ll enjoy them. Food intake should not be your only approach to curing your rosacea symptoms but something you do along with other remedies and products that can be applied externally. In summary, take care of your gut and it will take care of your skin.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.